Discover the Cutting Edge
A dive knife is an essential part of your spearfishing gear. When you get a fish close enough to hold you need to kill it quickly - the dive knife is the best tool for this! There are many different types of dive knife available for purchase; but not many of them are suitable for spearfishing.
A dive knife for spearfishing needs to meet the following criteria:
- Sharp - no brainer! Make sure you sharpen the blade when you get back to dry land - if you used it.
- Comes to sharp point - making it easy to kill fish.
- Compact - a bulky dive knife will get easily caught in your dive line and will be awkward to manage when wrestling a fish.
- Good grip - a dive knife with a rubber/moulded handle is ideal to ensure you don't drop it too easily.
- Stainless/Titanium blade - is preferred to slow/stop rusting of the blade. A little bit of care for your dive knife on returning home will ensure a long life. Clean off any rust spots with a rag or sandpaper, then spray with protectant e.g., WD40 or CRC.
- Webbing + sheath - you need some way to secure your dive knife to your body...leg is good, arm is even better. Make sure your knife is well secured when putting it back in the sheath in the water - nothing worse than losing your dive knife on your first dive. Been there!
Practice securing and retrieving your dive knife so that when you need it in a hurry, it will be right there. When you are putting your kit together...remember, it is an important part of your gear, don't leave home without your dive knife!